The Value of a Warm Up
“A lion never warms up before he chases a gazelle.” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard this statement used as an explanation to why a warm up is a waste of time. Well, you aren’t a lion and utilizing a proper warm up can be the difference between a good training session and just getting through it. Some of the benefits are listed below:
▪ Increased body temperature, which leads to increased rates of energy production
▪ Greater utilization of fats for energy production earlier in the workout, which extends the time you can train at a high-intensity
▪ Increased blood flow and oxygen available to working muscles
▪ Increases range of motion of muscles and joints
▪ Increased speed of muscle contraction/relaxation
The bottom line is all of these benefits lead to performance improvements. Improved performance leads to better results where it matters most-on the slope, on the trail, or in the saddle.